Saturday, March 11, 2006

Bloodwork with good results

Yesterdaay, with my heart in my mouth and my stomach in knots, I called my oncologist's office to see if they had the results of my CA 125 screen. (CA 125 is a marker in the blood for ovarian cancer; my CA 27.29 is a breast cancer marker, which has been in the normal range since my surgery, but I hadn't had a CA 125 done.) My gyn-onc was concerned that I hadn't had one done, and needed me to do it before surgery. With the "10-17%" in my head, the whole thing made me very nervous.

Well, good news. The range of normal is up to 39, and I'm a 9. Perfect! The test is certainly not 100% accurate in predicting ovarian cancers (some doctors don't even look at these markers because of their fallibility) but it's still a relief to pass this checkpoint with flying colors.

All of my other bloodwork (red and white cell counts, etc.) is in the normal range, but in looking at the trend, my numbers have been falling for over a month, and were at a low last week. This is not surprising given the radiation I've had, and I feel more tired now than I did a couple of weeks ago, so it all adds up. Often, radiation fatigue kicks in when radiation ends, and that is certainly the case with me. It's nothing I need to worry about, but it's certainly something that drags me down. It's no fun to wake up after 10 hours of sleep and feel exhausted!

I must say...the thing that's really driving me right now is about weight loss/getting fit. I want to sleep in my size 8's because it makes me so happy that they fit me...now isn't that silly? It just feel so good to have hit this milestone. I keep sneaking peeks in the full length mirror at our house to assure myself that really, it's true, and that I have lost so much weight. Certainly, there's more weight to follow, but I am enjoying the journey so much more from this weight than any other I've had in the past several years.

I will add, though, that's it's gotten a bit more difficult to stay on track. At my new weight, I only get 20 points a day (plus the 35 weekly flex points) and I feel hungry a lot more often. I've come to realize that I must give up my mochas - it is both healthier and more filling to have a latte (the milk gives me needed calcium, and the coffee doesn't have any extra points) and an apple, instead of my beloved mocha. This is slightly boring, to say the least, but well worth it!

Love,
K

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Give up Mochas?! What about feeding the soul??? hee, hee.

Weight loss is great, Kristina, but remember your body may need "extra" good nutrition to keep up with the healing. I hope those with whom you are consulting are taking into consideration the energy that goes into healing. It's really all about healthy eating and moderation. Don't let yourself feel hungry too often. (I worry, you know!)

I am pleased for you: your new body shape and healthy habit changes. Way to go!

*susan* said...

apple latte anyone? I will consider heading to the test kitchen to figure out a concoction that will work for you and your points!

Love

Rhonda said...

Yeah for good news!!

You are looking great!!

Rhonda

The Green Cedar said...

Such wonderful news--I'm so glad.

And...if sleeping in your size 8's makes you feel good, I say go for it! And lean on your creative friends (I'm reading *susan*'s comment) to make the new mocha-less reality feel good, too.

Love & triumph,
gr