Sunday, February 19, 2006

decisions

Since my radiation is harder to recover from than I'd anticipated, I'm starting to re-think my decision to have a second mastectomy in March. I just don't know how much more of this stuff I can take, and the idea of having major surgery that is, quite obviously, going to hurt like **** as soon as the pain in my left chest subsides is really sort of frightening.

Tonight I started thinking that maybe I would go ahead with the oopharectomy this spring, but put off the right mastectomy until I do reconstruction on the left side, scheduled (hopefully) for this fall.

I'd like my ovaries out because I want ALL estrogen gone from my body, and then I wouldn't worry about ovarian cancer. If I don't have to do a complete hysterectomy, then it's not a major surgery, and the recovery is pretty simple for most people. It seems a lot easier than removing my breast and then moving muscle and skin from my back (the lat flap) to reconstruct it.

These decisions are so hard to make. I will wait to talk to the oncology gynecologist early in March, and the second plastic surgeon later this month, before making my decisions....

It's all exhausting.
Kristina

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! It sounds like you are going through another tough period in your treatment and I am sorry that I haven't been a better friend over the past couple of months. I did want to write and let you know that I am getting ready to plan some trips to Orcas this spring and thought that you, Ryan & Tessa might like to be the the first guests. The weekends of March 25 or April 1 will be the first chance I have to get up to the cabin.

Let me know if you are interested!

Marisa

Rhonda said...

HUGS!!! All those decisions are so hard to make. I'm praying that you'll find the answers you need and the peace as you make them.

Just some thoughts, I had a total hyster via laparoscopy and MIL had her vaginally, so depending on your case, you might be a candidate for those procedures and the recovery is a lot similar to oopherectomy (5 laps to my name--they are less invasive than a masectomy). I loved the site www.hystersisters.org--was a godsend last year.

Rhonda

Arielle said...

Hi Kristina,
Your hair looks great! I haven't worn mine out yet and my last chemo was 11/10. Your weight loss is terrific! I have been seriously considering WW, since I am up a few too many.