Friday, January 27, 2006

Radiation update

I had another appointment with Dr. Morris today to discuss my radiation plan. My skin is noticeably pink and red and tanned now, and has become sensitive to the touch. As of today, I can no longer wear any sort of bra because the band rubs on my skin. This bums me out because this means that I can't wear a prosthesis, and so all of my clothes fit strangely and in order to disguise the braless breast I need to wear looser clothes than I like to wear, and it's very de-feminizing. I have had enough de-feminizing, but it appears that there is no end in sight. More practically, it also bums me out because it's uncomfortable to work out without a bra - I jogged a bit today and that didn't go well at all!

Dr. Morris has been doing research on healthy BMIs and weight loss and exercise as they relate to cancer patients, and she is VERY happy with all I'm doing to be fit and slim and healthy. She told me that I will probably get some fatigue soon, and that it is best if I push on through and keep exercising and avoid taking naps, as being active will help fight the fatigue. I'm doing all that I can! Today's walk was short (under two miles) because the kids (I walk oftentimes with Michele & Elliott, in addition to pushing Tessa in the stroller) were fussy and because it started hailing...and I just didn't have the commitment to keep going in the hail. Oh well, better luck tomorrow (or Sunday, when I plan to do a 6 mile walk for the first time since starting all this).

I have stayed close to my daily points for Weight Watchers in the past couple of days, and I'm excited by that, too. Tonight I made a ginger-BBQ sauce on broiled salmon, and it was delicious...definately didn't feel like I was on a diet.

Love to all,
Kristina

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nearly halfway there! Just a few more weeks and it'll be goodbye pink/red/tan sensitivity and hello jog bras, snug tops, and days and days with no appointments! Hang in there...

Bry