Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Allergic reaction

I left for chemo (taking the Swedish free shuttle) at 1:30pm, and I JUST got home. Things were running a little late, but the real reason I'm so late is that I had an allergic reaction to the Taxol. At first the nurse (who had to sit with me and watch me for signs of reactio) said, "Your lips and cheeks are flushed - are you okay?" and I said that I felt fine...but then my throat started to close up, and my chest got tight. When I told them that, my cubby filled with nurses and they hooked me up to oxygen and gave me Decadron (this steroid counteracts the allergic effect) and somebody called my oncologist, Dr. Rinn. By that point my heart rate had jumped from 70 to 126...not a good sign. They had to wait for the steroid to really kick in, and then everything had to be done very slowly after that as they watched me for signs of further allergic reactions.

Mysteriously, I stayed calm. It was very frightening, however, and staying calm took so much energy that I felt like I was in a fog where I couldn't reach anyone; it was difficult to speak. Not an experience I'd care to repeat.

Sigh. I had a bad feeling about allergic reactions, and I'd been stressed about it for a few days, but I had imagined the worst about Herceptin, not Taxol. Anyway, my intuition wasn't far off, and that's interesting.

My parents kept Tessa overnight - they had to go to Target to get her PJs - which is a blessing because Ryan was able to come and sit with me, and we didn't leave the hospital until after 10:30 (Tessa never could have made it that long). I miss my baby girl - I'd really love to stare at her sleeping face right now - but this will help me tomorrow morning before my mom brings her here, too, and it's all for the best. Sigh.

This does not impact further treatment. I will take Decadron in advance of my Taxol next time, and I will be closely monitored, but that's it.

Five chemo down, eleven to go. One Taxol/Herceptin finished, eleven to go.

I have GOT to get some sleep. Good night, all.
Love,
Kristina

6 comments:

*susan* said...

Take care of yourself. I know you will love seeing Tessa when she come home... and she, you.

Hope your Day 2 is manageable. So sorry Day 1 was so hard. {{{{{{{{}}}}}}}

Anonymous said...

I was thinking of you yesterday and you're in my prayers again today. Elliott says "Ahwahdadamaheeeooww." He loves you too.

Michele

Anonymous said...

Oh, sweetie, I'm so sorry it was so hard. Hope you've had a chance to rest today and feel better.

Love,
gr

Anonymous said...

This experience sounds horrible! How did you ever manage to stay calm?? I suppose you have had your share of scary experiences, perhaps you are getting tougher to scare with each one!

Sending prayers and positive energy to you and your family.

Corina

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your journey. I am a breast cancer survivor and now have ovarian cancer. I too had a reaction to Taxol. I was terrified. Now I dread my next treatment because they are going to try taxol again with more steroids and I don't do well on steroids. It has been one week today and I still feel bad but most of the nausea is gone.
I will say a prayer for you.

Anonymous said...

Breast Cancer org
Common Breast Cancer Myths

The first myth pertaining to this disease is that it only affects women.

Second myth that is associated with this disease is that if one has found a lump during an examination, it is cancer.

Third is that it is solely hereditary

The next myth associated with breast cancer is downright ridiculous. Would you believe, that in this day and age, some individuals still think that breast cancer is contagious?

Conversely, some individuals foolishly believe that breast size determines whether or not one gets cancer.

Finally, another myth that is associated with this disease is that it only affects older people. This is not so. Although the chance of getting breast cancer increases with age, women as young as 18 have been diagnosed with the disease.

You can find a number of helpful informative articles on Breast Cancer org at breast-cancer1.com

Breast Cancer org