Thursday, June 02, 2005

Meeting the surgeon

Hello again!

Today I had my big appointment with the surgeon. We didn't get quite as much information as I'd hoped for - there are still tests to be run (MRI, bone scan, blood tests, x-rays, etc.) before staging the cancer, and I don't have full names for the cancer yet. I will share more soon.

I do know that I will be having a mastectomy on June 13th, and that I will only be in the hospital overnight! Goodbye, breast, it's been fun but it's your time to go. Nobody with cancer is welcome in my body, not even one of "the girls." Further tests will be run to see if the right breast will go as well...I'm optimistic but nobody knows yet. Anyway, I will have reconstructive surgery some time in the next year and so I'm not going to dwell on this part....it's temporary. I was done breastfeeding anyway, so I don't mind getting some fake ones next.

I will begin chemotherapy when I'm recovered from the surgery, probably a few weeks later. Chemo can last anywhere from 3-6 months, and I don't know how long mine will be yet. We also don't know yet if I will need radiation after chemo, or if hormone therapies will work on my type of cancer - that information will be known soon.

I have been told that I will be pretty functional, though tired, throughout most of this process. I will able to be Tessa's mommy on at least a part time basis - we will still go to preschool, to the park, to the beach, and all the other toddler hangouts. That is the best news I got all morning....that has been my biggest concern.

We have appointments with a naturopathic oncologist, regular oncologist, surgeon, radiation oncologist (maybe), psycho oncologist (to talk about preparing Tessa for what is to come), and of course there are tests, tests, and more tests. I will be getting MRIs, bone scans, and xrays tomorrow so hopefully we will move forward in the diagnosis soon. (I had blood tests today.)

It's a lot of information to take in, but I celebrate that we are moving forward quickly and that my doctors are excellent. I'm told that my surgeon was voted "Best in Seattle" - now isn't that nice?!

Emotionally, I'm okay. Highs and lows, but really, doing better than I expected.

With love,Kristina

PS If there is anyone you want added to this list, let me know.

No comments: