Monday, February 27, 2006

Radiation: NOT done

Today I went for my radiation check up. After a weekend of slathering up with soaks, compresses, and ointments (boring!) I have excellent results: no more ooze. The staff all stood around me and oohed and ahhed over how much better my chest looks. It's a remarkable difference.

This means that I'm back on the radiation bandwagon. Today I had a full treatment area dosage, and I get another one of the same tomorrow; after that, I will do the five boosts (on a smaller area, over the scar line). In other words, I had a delay, but I will do the full course of radiation.

This also means that I need to keep up with the soaks, rinses, and ointments. Sigh.

I have very mixed feelings about this. Overall, of course, it's better for my long term prognosis to complete radiation, so I will. In the short term, though, it's a bit frightening.

My new end date for radiation is March 7. I will not be writing it on my calendar, as the date has slipped so many times that it wouldn't surprise me if it slipped again.

Six more to go.

Kristina

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am amazed at your strength, Kristina. You definitely deserve a huge break from all this... I can't wait till you get there! It's such a huge adjustment to go from being so healthy to dealing with discomfort and pain for so long... you have barely complained at all! I have to remember to check your blog to know what's really going on because you put on such a brave and upbeat face when you are with your friends. Just keep following your gut with what schedule is right for you, your treatment, and your healing.

I am sending you good thoughts...I am also home more than I'd like doing repetetive things (carrots and meatballs, tee hee) so call anytime if you get stir crazy!!
Marilyn