Thursday, February 02, 2006

14.4 pounds lost AND I'm a superhero

Today at my Weight Watchers weigh-in I celebrated another 2.6 pound loss (or was it 2.8?)...anyway, I've lost a total of 14.4 pounds. Only 8 pounds until my pre-chemo weight, and then I can start working on the weight that I should have gotten rid of years ago. I am THRILLED with the rate of loss, as I'd promised myself to be happy if I averaged 1 pound a week of loss...but I've lost all 14.4 in four weeks. I can't wait to see what losses February will bring!

Today at radiation my team looked at my chest, and asked me how I was feeling. I told them that I'm working out regularly and walking 3-6 miles several times a week, and that I get tired in the evenings, but that I feel pretty good. They told me that I was a superhero, because usually by the time that people's chests look like mine, they're exhausted. Well, I certainly don't feel like a superhero, but I'll take all the positive reinforcement that I can get.

My chest is now completely red in the radiated area, with one sort of purple-ish area about 2x2 inches. The whole thing is covered with little sores ranging from pinpoint to the size of the head of a pin (all very small, in other words), and it seems that there are more of these each time I look. I keep slathering on the Biafine and hoping for the best. My chest is now officially tender, and I can't snuggle Tessa on that side any more because it hurts (and my lean daughter's too bony...and too wiggly...for a radiated chest hug). I am almost halfway done, having completed 16 of 33 radiation sessions. I have a feeling that, like chemo, the second half is a lot harder than the first, but I'm trying not to focus on that.

Yesterday I scheduled an appointment with Dr. Dawson, the surgeon who performed my first mastectomy, to talk about performing the second mastectomy. Dr. Welk was very convincing that it is advisable to heal from the mastectomy for at least two months before doing reconstruction, and since I want to do reconstruction in October but I don't want to have a mastectomy close to the 3-Day walk, I think I'm looking at doing it SOON. I will discuss with Dr. Dawson having mastectomy number two in March. Of course I dread this - I'm only human, not superhero after all - but I am willing to do what it takes, and having had cancer in one breast I'm not eager to get it in the other, so it will offer peace of mind.

With love,
Kristina

3 comments:

*susan* said...

I beg to differ.... you are a super-hero by definition*. Just ask Tessa!

* Superhero: noun; loving and caring people who raise children in a supportive environment

The Green Cedar said...

What she said. LISTEN to your friends!

Love & I want your autograph,
gr

Anonymous said...

A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.
~ Christopher Reeve

The hero is one who kindles a great light in the world, who sets up blazing torches in the dark streets of life for men to see by.
~ Felix Adler

...and those are both you!