Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Taking control

Today I had my first weekly weigh in at Weight Watchers since I started doing the program. I have lost (drumroll, please) just over seven pounds! Of course, I'm delighted by this loss, though I wish I felt it more...it's a sign of how much I need to lose that seven pounds doesn't immediately make me look slimmer. In any case, I'm thrilled with my first week. I've shown amazing willpower towards food, but more importantly (to me) I am re-learning some eating habits and making better food choices. I'm looking at food on a weekly basis, and planning for "downfall" events like parties where I know there will be high-cal food, and as such I'm planning for success. (I know, for example, that if I want to go out for dinner on Saturday and not worry about what I'm going to order, then I should show restraint in my choices on the days leading up to Saturday, so that I can enjoy my treats on Saturday but not put on weight. This might seem pretty obvious to some people, but it wasn't obvious to me, and it's a huge "aha!" moment for me.)

One thing that I like about the WW plan is that I can still have treats - it's just about making choices. Today I had super healthy food all day, and that means that tonight I am enjoying a glass of wine. Any diet that allows a glass of wine makes sense to me! (I'm also eating more fruits and veggies than ever, however, as they have low points and fill me up if I'm hungry.)

Anyway, I'm taking control of what I can control. I can't make my hair grow, and I can't make treatment easier, but I can control what I eat and make healthy choices. I do not intend to beat breast cancer only to be taken down by heart disease...I intend to be healthy. Period.

All this thinking about food is also a way to avoid thinking about radiation. I completed my first true radiation today (number 2 of 34 appointments...number 1 of 33 treatments). It was fine. The people are nice. It doesn't hurt. I still don't want to do it. There's not much more to say about it than that, I think. I'll report on it later when I'm more in the mood.

Love,
Kristina

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are an inspiration to me. I am a photographer here in the Cincinnati area who has been photographing the Relay For Life (ACS) for 2 years. This year I am not only photographing two RFLs in our home town, but I signed up on a team and made a personal goal of raising $5,000. I did this with you in mind and I look forward to meeting, rather, exceeding my goal to help find a cure. In your dark times please remember that simply by blogging your thoughts on the internet, you are a huge inspiration to not just me, but countless others who I know are out there reading. G-d bless.

Anonymous said...

Hooray for that loss! That is fantastic, and it sounds like the whole program is a much-needed diversion. Your hair is looking great, and I'm not just saying that. It's going to be long, thick and lush in not time. Lisa in Phoenix