Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Summertime, and the livin' is easy

When Ella sings that song, I melt.

Today was one of those days. Tessa and I went with friends down to Alki, picnic and beach towels in hand. The moms hung out and chatted, and the children went in and out of the sea, capturing jellyfish, building castles, digging holes, and wading.

When the kids were starting to melt down, we left, no rush, no hurry, just time to be done. We came home and I plunked Tessa into a warm bathtub (hours in the ocean and I swear she was turning blue) to warm up and get the sand out, and now I'm doing chores and little busy work.

May every summer day look like this one!

PS Thank you so much to everyone who has asked about my parents. Given the circumstances, they are doing remarkably well. My mom found out that her childhood hymnal and Bible can be restored, and so can some of their paintings. It turns out that ammonia will take the smell of smoke out of clothes, too. Bit by bit, my parents are piecing their lives back together. I will spend the day with them tomorrow, with a pool break for Tessa (and I!).

PPS I'm spending the day with my parents tomorrow. I'll get pictures of the house if I can.

No comments: